Friday, May 18, 2018

Ms. Chaides' 4th Graders Review Native Plants

This week Ms. Chaides' 4th graders reviewed the names of some California native plants that are used by local Native Americans.

We played a game: I brought in pieces of various plants and asked them to identify them. I also gave hints about others.  I brought in pieces of California poppy, white sage, monkey flower, deer grass and California sagebrush.  I had the students write down the names of the plants on a piece of paper.

I also introduced a new plant, woolly blue curls. Once we had the names listed, I put down identifying facts on the white board, not in order, and asked the kids to match them to the name.
Some creative students also drew pictures of the plants.



I think everyone knows that deer grass is woven to make baskets.  There is a large deer grass plant in front of school and many in the patio native garden. The second easiest plant to remember might be white sage, which is located right outside their classroom and which is tied in a bundle and burned during ceremonies.

At the end of the lesson I served kale chips, an always popular treat. Recipe: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take 1 or 2 bunches of kale washed and torn in small pieces, place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss with olive oil and salt. Bake for approximately 10-15 minutes until crisp at the edges.



No comments:

Post a Comment