Here's something you can plant at home with your children that we're doing at school.
1. Either buy a seed potato at a local nursery or use an organic one that is showing eyes.
2. Cut the potato into pieces with one or two eyes each. Dry the pieces for 24 hours.
3. Plant potato in loose soil with a trowel full of compost. Eye should be up.
4. Put 6" deep mound of mulch (leaves) and soil over potato and water.
5. Keep area wet. Feed with fertilizer weekly until flowers on vine begin to open. Put more mulch around stem each time potato has grown 6".
6. Harvest just after flowers bloom. Harvest just a few potatoes at a time.