As part of the lesson, we discussed what the abbreviations, 1T. , 1t, 1 c and 1/4 c. meant. The children put the vegetable peelings aside in a compost pail that was later added to the garden worm bin.
After the lesson, the students copied the recipe to take home. The recipe follows the photos.
|The colorful salad|
|Serving the salad|
Kale, Carrot, Tomato and Avocado Salad
Ingredients (for 4)
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and torn in small pieces
- 2 c. grated carrots
- 1/2 avocado peeled and pitted
- handful of small cherry tomatoes cut in 1/2
- 1/4 c. thinly sliced red onion
- 2 T. lemon juice
- 2 T. sesame seeds, toasted (we omitted these)
- 1/2 t. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 T. olive oil
Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Use hands or back of a spoon to massage kale. (You can leave the salad out at room temperature for 30 minutes to help kale soften).